23/01: Betternet Lab ‘Moving away from sluts & macho’s online’
Debunking myths and online gender stereotypical behaviour.
A one-day conference in which we want to give guidance on how to deal with gender stereotyped behaviour among young people online. It will target a wide range of professionals who come into contact with young people in one way or another (social workers, teachers, NGOs, etc.) and it will lead to concrete recommendations to (Belgian and European) politicians and policy makers.
Sophia, Belgisch Netwerk voor Genderstudies / Réseau Belge des Études de Genre, Unia, Child Focus
Child Focus is the Belgian helpline for a safer internet. And we notice in our figures, but also those of others, that gender stereotyped behaviour still has an enormous impact on online communication between young people. Think of ‘slut shaming’ and macho behavior of boys ... Meanwhile, we see that boys are also sometimes victims of the stereotyped behavior, but they are less likely to seek help or talk about emotions ... While most professionals will recognize these issues, they often do not know how to react. This conference will respond to this need, offering concrete tools to work effectively on the topic.
ING HQ - Marnixlaan 24, 1000 Brussels
- 9:00: Coffee & Registration
- 9:30: Welcome - Heidi De Pauw (CEO Child Focus) / Hans Martens (EUN - INSAFE)
- 10:00: Keynote - Prof. Dr. Jessica Ringrose (University College London) ‘Digital Defense and Activism Lessons to combat children’s experiences of non consensual sexual content in social media networks.’
- 11:00: Coffee
- 11:15: Mermaid - Jaouad Alloul (Be Human) Interactive theatre mixed with personal stories. Jaouad likes to play with the theme of gender and does not shy away from controversial themes and builds bridges between the various identities that he has.
- 13:00: Lunchbreak
- 14:00: Deep Dive Sessions 1
- 15:00: Coffee
- 15:30: Deep Dive Sessions 2
- 16:30: Lessons learned (Nel Broothaerts - Child Focus)
- 17:00: Closing reception