I have a disability and I have rights
Many people with disabilities are not aware of their human rights. Through a campaign video, posters and an awareness raising action, we want to change that. The action will be held on December 3 – the International Day of Persons with Disabilities.
On December 3, hundreds of pairs of shoes will be laid out in seven Belgian cities. The shoes will be a statement protesting the invisibility of persons with disabilities. It is a call for more efforts to be made to allow persons with disabilities to exercise their rights.
People with disabilities have rights. Just like everyone else does. All of these rights are enshrined in the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities. The Convention, which is now marking its 10th anniversary, was ratified by Belgium in 2009.
This means that the Belgian government is required to respect the rights of persons with disabilities and to ensure that others respect them as well. Unia has been assigned the role of monitoring whether or not that is effectively the case.
Any form of discrimination based on disability is prohibited. Persons with a disability have the right:
- to have a voice in the development of policy and legislation;
- to have access to buildings, schools, housing and their place of work and to be able to use public transport;
- to make decisions and have control over their own finances and property;
- to have protection against all forms of physical and psychological violence and abuse, and to be treated with respect;
- to live where and with whom they wish and to receive the necessary support to make this possible.
Persons with a disability also have the right:
- to inclusive education, so that students do not have to attend separate schools;
- to reasonable accommodation within the general education system, both collectively and individually;
- to work, on the regular labour market, on an equal basis with others.
Do you think that your rights are not being respected, and would you like to report a case of discrimination? Don't hesitate to contact us.
The campaign was developed and executed by a team of people who have disabilities. View the entire photo album on Facebook.
- Read more about the UN Convention and the role played by Unia in its implementation.
- Sign up for our thrice-yearly newsletter: Handicap News (French or Dutch).