Art. 5 CRPD (Day of General Discussion): written submission from Unia to the UN Committee
A day of General Discussion on the right of persons with disabilities to equality and non-discrimination will be held on 25 august 2017 in Geneva by the UN Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities. This right is enshrined in article 5 of the Convention on the rights for persons with disabilities (CRPD).
Addressed to: UN Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities
Unia, as the independent mechanism responsible for the promotion, protection and monitoring of CRPD application in Belgium, submitted a written contribution relating to article 5. You can download it on this page.
All written submissions and the findings of the day of general discussion will provide a basis for the drawing up by the Committee of a general comment no. 6 on the right to equality and non discrimination.
The Committee’s General comments aim at the interpretation of the rights included in the CRPD and the obligations for State parties. The Committee has already adopted:
- General Comment no.1 on equal recognition before the law (article 12),
- General Comment no.2 on accessibility (article 9),
- General Comment no.3 on women and girls with disabilities (article 6),
- General Comment no.4 on the right to inclusive education (article 24).
- a draft of General Comment no.5 on the right to independent living (article 19)
All the general comments are available on the website of the Committee.